Monday 19 January 2015

My Junk Food Frenemy

When I'm "On" I would never even consider eating boxed food. Everything I cook is made from scratch using whole foods. I don't eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners. If an organic version of a food is available I buy it no matter the additional cost.

But when I'm "Off" it's a whole new ballgame. Potato chips, candy, chocolate, ice cream, pop - these are the friends I turn to when I'm craving a treat.

My junk food habit started back when I was a pre-teen. My mother would buy cream puffs or long johns from the local bakery as treats for dessert. But not for me. They were only for the "boys" - my father and brothers. As "girls" my Mom and I were meant to always watch our weight and deny ourselves this type of pleasure. 

While my Mom's intentions were good, it was this kind of denial that led to my cycle of restriction = rebellion. Is it any wonder that part of my allowance starting being diverted from Archie Comics to Cadbury Easter Cream eggs and potato chips? My brothers never had that problem.

Even as an adult when I'm bored, lonely, frustrated, stressed, or angry these are the foods I turn to. The irony is that when I do, I don't even enjoy them. They come along with guilt, a stomach ache, and a less than stellar workout the next day. 

So for Week 1 of my 50 week challenge I decided to end the cycle and not bring any of these treats into my house. I'm not going to deny myself a bite of chocolate or a handful of potato chips at a party or ice cream out with friends but I'm ending my secret love affair with these foods in the privacy of my own home.

At the beginning of the week I caught myself almost picking up a liquorice or a soft drink as a treat. By the end of the week I got used to the idea that it was not an option. But I never felt deprived as I knew that it was the only concession I had to make this week. When I craved the bubbles of a soft drink, I drank carbonated water from my Soda Stream. Instead of processed sugar, I began enjoying fruit more again. It felt good to let go of the guilt associated with these nutrition lacking foods.

At the end of Week 1, I had lost 3 pounds. I have now surpassed my halfway marker - down 48 pounds with 47 to go. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley! Appreciate the support. It's been awesome to see you embrace running and get so healthy over the last few years.

      Delete