Monday 6 July 2015

One Thirds



One of the things I credit with my weight loss success over the last few years is changing my diet to eat more balanced meals at every meal time. The diet I used to take off the weight initially had me count calories as well as percentage carbs, protein, and fat at each meal. Using this way of eating, I found myself more satisfied with each meal. Even more importantly, the intense cravings I had for fatty, salty, and sugary food disappeared when my nutritional needs were being met.

However, counting each of these nutrients at every meal is a daunting way to live one's life. So, how do I achieve the same results to help me take off more weight without being a slave to my online tracker? One of the things my dietician, Marie-Hélène, suggested to make it simple is to think of my plate being divided into thirds and filling 1/3 of it with protein (meat, fish, tofu), 1/3 with veggies, and 1/3 with starches/carbs (potatoes, bread, rice, other grains). At breakfast I could substitute fruit for vegetables.

How simple! And a fun challenge to shake up my meals. I know I often have trouble including a protein but I was surprised at how often I'd leave out carbs. Eating with this one thirds approach kept me satisfied and even throughout the day, and all without calculating a single ratio!

No comments:

Post a Comment